The Green Light

6.5.07

An empty room is merciless...

People have been telling me all year how great my dorm room is, how huge it is, how lucky I am to have so much space. And up until today, it was nice. But not now. Now it's big and empty and bare. My suitemate moved out yesterday, and my roommate left this morning. I didn't realize how much of the stuff in here wasn't mine - the TV, the microwave, the little fridge, the light. And I didn't realize how nice it is to have a roommate. I mean, it will be nice to have my space when I'm home, but I never really appreciated how nice it is to have someone around, someone to share random thoughts and food with. I like that.

I'm all packed, aside from my toothbrush. It's been a form of procrastination as I avoid studying for my Psych final tomorrow that, no matter how I do, will not save me from a mediocre grade for the class. I will be getting a bunch of mediocre grades this semester, and I'm disappointed. Not really in myself, I know I worked hard and I know I'm smart. This semester I just took classes that didn't suit me - that's what I get from a late registration time. So I guess I'm just generally disappointed with the semester, and I'm just realizing as final grades come in. But I've made peace with it and I know I'll do better next semester when I'm taking classes I want to be taking, classes that intrigue me and terrify me in the best way. I'm thrilled to be taking on the challenge of the French major, of classes taught in a foreign tongue, of everything being new. But I'm glad to have summer before then.

On a similar note, I'm pretty bummed about the French elections. I mean, I'm not a French citizen, so it's really not something I have a say in, but I'm still not happy. I'm not sure Royal is capable of leading the country, but I can't help but be concerned by the fact that someone like Sarkozy is accepted enough to be elected. I worry about a world that doesn't stand up to the injustice he's capable of creating. I'm biased with my focus on immigration, I know, but it's something I feel very strongly about.

The longer I write, the less I have to turn around and see this massive empty space. I think tonight is the most homesick I've been all year. I'll be home in 24 hours - that's such a wonderful thought.

On a complete other note, I dropped a bag of trash on my toe a few days ago and now walking hurts. It's also a pretty shade of blue. Not cool. My toes and I need to go on a retreat and bond so that we can end this abusive relationship.

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home