The Green Light

31.3.06

It's been a long day . . .

I need to tell this story so that I don't forget any of it. I suppose that's why we tell any story.

Yesterday started at 6:45am when I woke up with energy for no apparent reason. I had been up late the night before studying for a test/hanging out with Joe and Justin. So when I woke up that early, I was surprised that my eyes even opened. But I was up. So I kept my word and went to the gym with Mary Lee at 7:30am. Half an hour and about 65 floors later, I got off the stairmaster and came back to my room. I showered away the sweat and got back to studying. At 9:45am, I headed over to work. The first hour was slow, since most businesses don't open until 11, but I eventually got into the groove around Union Square and was very successful. It was gorgeous out, and by the end of my shift, my sweater was in my bag and the sun was beating down on my bare shoulders. I then went to take my test, and I'm pretty confident that I did well. Then, it was back to Brittany (via the market to get bread) to make a picnic of sandwiches, salads, and fruit. And then to the deli for vitamin water. Mary Lee and I then hurried down to Chinatown, wandering the unfamiliar streets in the increasing heat until we found the Fung Wah bus line ticket window. Tickets in hand, we collapsed in front of the Buddhist temple until the bus arrived. When it did, we got into the front seat to avoid getting sick, as well as to make us of the table there. We set up our picnic and enjoyed. The girls behind us were possibly the most vapid people in the world, and served as our entertainment for the first 30 minutes of the trip. Then we decided that sleep was a good plan. Around 4pm, we woke up for a rest stop. And realized that we were about a year away from Boston. So then we zoned out with our ipods. Then mine died, so I did some reading. Then we hit another rest stop, though only the driver got out, plastic bag in hand ... I still don't know what happened there. At that point, it was about 80 degrees on the bus, and the driver had been going about 40mph the whole time. So we got cranky. Around 6:30pm, we arrived in Boston. After running around a seemingly endless terminal, we found a taxi to take us to the opera house. And when we arrived, the marquee said "Wicked". Fortunately, Wicked is opening tonight, and last night, Jamie Cullum was in fact there. A great opening act, two cokes, and some goldfish later, he took the stage. From the first note of "Wind Cries Mary" to the amazing finale with "High and Dry" and "All at Sea" (and all the wonderful moments in between), he was an outstanding performer. Sadly, the crowd was older, so we were somewhat out of place standing in the back and dancing around. But after "Get Your Way", it really didn't matter. SO much fun. And so at 10:05pm, our carriage was about to become a pumpkin, and we hurried back to the bus station. We jumped onto a Greyhound (no more Chinatown bus!) at 10:30pm. After about an hour, we were out of ways to distract ourselves from sleep, and we passed out. We woke up in Harlem (never though I'd be happy to be in Harlem at 2am) and were soon at Port Authority. Which was essentially shut down. Into another cab, down 30 blocks, and we were back at Brittany. I said good night to Mary Lee and was asleep within moments of hitting the pillow. Around 3am. An insanely long day made well worth it by good music and good company.
Today, I'm exhausted. But alas, I have to go to work.

3 Comments:

  • i had a day just recently that was 13 hours long... pretty short right?.... 6-9.... and it was the longest day ever...... ever..... i learned two languages, got three hair cuts and had one child.... and it is the first case in the history or time where the mystery is the identity of the mother not the father, we dont know how this happened.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 11, 2006 at 9:08 PM  

  • i had a day just recently that was 13 hours long... pretty short right?.... 6-9.... and it was the longest day ever...... ever..... i learned two languages, got three hair cuts and had one child.... and it is the first case in the history or time where the mystery is the identity of the mother not the father, we dont know how this happened.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At April 11, 2006 at 9:08 PM  

  • By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 30, 2011 at 9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home