The Green Light

7.3.06

Hot Dogs

I just consumed a delicious hot dog (which, by the way are pretty much the perfect food) that I bought from a street vendor outside of the Met. I also decided on a major. Sweet.

And the winner is...Art History!
I always forget how much I love art until I'm surrounded by it. I always go to a museum and say, "Wow, I can't get enough of this." And then I carry on with my life. But today was different. I went to the Met with the sole purpose of seeing one painting (Bastien-Lepage's Joan of Arc). I have a lot of work to do so I was just planning on seeing the painting and leaving. But of course, I couldn't. And as I wandered around the 19th century paintings (my favorite period anyway), I just understood how important art is. It not only tells our story (or anyone's), but it lets us glimpse at the emotions of an era, the subtle ideas that a brush stroke can illuminate. There's no such thing as "just a painting". Every inch of the canvas offers insight to out history, our culture, and our own hearts. And I want to know as much about it as possible.

Now don't think that this means my life path is mapped out. I have no idea what I want to do with my life - I just know what it is that I want to know.

4 Comments:

  • Heather, I miss you and I love you.

    There's something special about one year, isn't there? I feel like our friendship has been truly solidified. hahaha It's a pangea, if you will.

    I love you! Eat some Milanos and think of me!

    By Blogger Ellie, At March 8, 2006 at 8:35 PM  

  • Also, I'm so happy for you. You are seriously amazing. And what makes you happy is truly awesome. Go get 'em, you art historian, you.

    By Blogger Ellie, At March 8, 2006 at 8:36 PM  

  • the joan of arc... was there a guy carrying a stool in it? Cause thats how you can tell if its an acurate portrayal of the truth!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At March 17, 2006 at 7:06 AM  

  • you're so cool. and i'm going to be at NYU on thursday - its the first stop on our college visiting spring break trip. so i absolutely must see you. and thats that.

    By Blogger hannah, At March 18, 2006 at 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home