The Green Light

30.11.05

Sweet Kisses

A year ago on Friday, I got into NYU. I also had gone home sick from school. I fell asleep on the couch in the basement, face down on my calculus textbook. I woke up to my mom shaking me, saying,"Heather, wake up! Jon's here!" See, right now that seems like a pretty normal statement. But a year ago, it was a huge thrill. We'd been on one date (Donato's before rehearsal), and I was a giggly mess over him. He came down with three roses and we made it official. I couldn't stop smiling. Our first kiss was the sweetest kiss of my life. A few days later, I got scared (as usual). So I ran - only to run right back after about a week. Another first kiss under the mistletoe. More sweet kisses that eventually became mono. I don't remember much from that mono time, but I do remember waking up to Jon stroking my hair or holding my hand. I don't know what went wrong. I didn't know how to cope with open, true feelings. I was scared. And I lost him. It took me very little time to realize what a fool I was, but unfortunately I was too late. Seeing him with someone else made me ill. I wanted him back, but I knew I had to wait my turn, if I ever got another. And I did. I knew I was in love with him when he fell asleep on my couch watching Bull Durham. Our third first kiss...I swear there were fireworks. After that, it all fell into place. We both knew it was right. I spent a wonderful summer in his arms, and we've survived the distance these past few months. And now, we've made it to a year. Me. A year. Who would have guessed we'd see this day.
Jon, this has been a crazy year. You came into my life so unexpectedly, at a time when I had all but given up on the idea of a nice guy. You taught me how to trust. You've made me happier than I can ever tell you. I love you so much. I wish I could tell the world what you mean to me, but a blog post will have to do. I am so lucky to have you in my life. Thank you for taking a chance on me. Here's to many more anniversaries.
"And you kissed me like you meant it.
And I knew that you meant it."

5 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home