The Green Light

17.10.05

Sudoku

This was one quite spectacular weekend.

It was parents weekend, so I had a mommy and a daddy. I had a boy, too. Jon got up here on Thursday. After surviving my first college midterm, I got to snuggle with him. That night, we had a pizza party, I smuggled my first alcohol into the dorm, and we had a seriously good time. I really love the little circle of friends I've developed here. Friday morning I watched a movie for my South Asia class, then Jon and I went up to Macy's to pick out his birthday present: a new leather jacket. We had delicious sandwiches at Au Bon Pain, and I wet off on a long babble about how much I love Thanksgiving. Then we napped. Around 8, my parents got in. We went out to dinner at this really amazing Italian place on MacDougal. Then we wandered about, ending up at a cafe til about 12:30, people watching and catching up. Then we went to bed. Then we woke up on Saturday morning and went to MoMA. Soooo cool. There was the most amazing, breathtaking, beautiful Monet. And Starry Night! And lots and lots of disturbing modern art. And a video of a guy just talking about random stuff that reminded me of something I would make. And then we had lunch at a less than average deli (though the bread was delicious). There, we found a copy of the Daily News. Intrigued by a story about a guy who got a tattoo that somehow related to death and then slit his throat when he fell through the display case in the tattoo parlor, we started to read it. Which is where Mom and I discovered Sudoku (aka Soduko, Soduku, Sambuku, Tampico). It's this crazy number crossword puzzle thing, and it's totally addictive (especially once you actually read the instructions). So, since it wasn't raining for the first time in about twelve years, we bought a book of Sudoku at a pharmacy and settled down on a rock in Central Park. Daddy took a nap. Jon tried to take a nap, but found that annoying me and Mom was a far better use of his time. After about an hour or so of Sudoku, we went back downtown to get ready for our evening in Midtown. We went up to see Fiddler on the Roof. SOOOOO GOOD. Harvey Fierstein is just incredible. And the choreography - wow. I've discovered a whole new aspect to this show that I know and love. And then, Jon got my Playbill signed by Harvey (after taking out an old woman). Then we went back to MacDougal and had some food at Figaro, but we all pretty much fell asleep in said food. So we parted. Dad, Jon, and I, all fell asleep as soon as we got to bed. Mom stayed up til three playing Sudoku. Sunday morning brunch was at an Indian restaurant (oh my god, I could seriously live on chicken tikka masala). Then we played Sudoku in Washington Square, while battling with push-pops and watching the doggies. Our final excursion was in Gristedes, where we got enough food for me to hibernate. Then we said goodbye and I came back up here to procrastinate.
Best Weekend EVER.


In other news, I seriously miss my friends who are still in high school. Come visit me, please. You all are so dear to me.

5 Comments:

  • You forgot about the Belgians bombing the Smurffs. How could you possibly forget about that!?

    By Blogger Jon, At October 17, 2005 at 5:17 PM  

  • oh my god... that weird... in math class, (mr. wise) we just started to do those sudoku things... they realy are addictive... ha ha "my drug of choice, sudoku!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 18, 2005 at 5:40 PM  

  • In other news: We/I miss you an incredible amount too. God! Why do I not live in New York with you?!?!?! Sounds like it was a terrrrrrrrific weekend! It reminds me of the time we got together right before you left for school and you, me, and your mom played text twist for like an hour. Fun times, even if I was dismal at it.

    I love you so much, Heather! Continue being awesome, and I'll continue plotting ways to be around you and your awesome self when I'm supposed to be working!

    By Blogger Ellie, At October 18, 2005 at 5:47 PM  

  • hahah... I just laughed out loud at ellie saying "terrrrrrrrific"

    I miss you sooooo much. That goes without saying, but I'm obviously saying it anyway. I wore one of the shirts you gave me (from our clothes exchange extravaganza)this weekend, and it made me happy thinking of you, but it also made me sad knowing you weren't there. As SOON as I get the chance, I promise I am visiting. PROMISE.

    By Blogger hannah, At October 18, 2005 at 7:11 PM  

  • I think it really was the best weekend EVER. And you hit all the highlights. We did alot in 36 hours. Let's do it again in like, two weeks - okay?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At October 24, 2005 at 1:37 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home