The Green Light

24.10.05

A note to my dear high schoolers

So I've been trolling blogs, and something is sticking out in the ones written by my dear friends who havenot yet escaped high school. And I could post comments on all your blogs, but I figured I'd just make a general comment here. So I'm going to pretend that I'm wise and offer some soothing words. Well, kind of.
Now, see, you haven't bitten off more than you can chew. It will seem that way until Christmas, but by then you'll develop a way to make it work. Believe me, I know how it is to overachieve and have waaay too many extracurriculars and hard classes. I was kinda in the same place. But it works out, and you always end up on top. And here's the other thing about being overwhelmed - it never really stops entirely. I'm overwhelmed here at NYU, but I'm starting to get that it's a good thing. Being underwhelmed would just suck. This life thing is no fun without a challenge.
And now here's the crazy part of my advice. Enjoy it. High school probably seems like a place that is perfectly designed to stifle and suffocate. And at times it is. But realize now that you're on top of the world. Everyone knows you, knows your story, says Hi to you when they see you ... and chances are they all love you. Especially my young proteges, you really have it all. Relish in that, soak it up as long as you can. Before you know it, you'll be in a foreign place, surrounded by people who know nothing about you. Grab every spotlight and face every challenge head-on. I know you'll end up on the good side of things.
I love you all and I'm so proud of all you do. I couldn't have dreamt up anyone more wonderful, and I'm lucky to call you my friends.
So chin up. You're loved.

2 Comments:

  • thanks heather, that really helped. gotta know that there's some hope in our near futures. I've missed this elderly wisdom for us kiddies. I can't wait 'til you come home and we get to see you again! Oh! and I'm singing the same solo you had in the beginning of "The World You Love" for cabaret! Get pumped.

    I'll end this comment with a quote:
    "I know you can be overwhelmed, and you can be underwhelmed.... but can you be just 'whelmed'?"
    "I think you can in Europe!"
    (name that movie!)

    love, hannah

    By Blogger hannah, At October 25, 2005 at 4:40 PM  

  • I LOVE YOU HEATHER!!!!

    By Blogger Lina, At October 25, 2005 at 8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home