The Green Light

31.10.04

halloween

halloween. growing up it was my favorite holiday - even more important to me than christmas. i started planning on november 1st for my costumes, i yearned for pumpkin carving and candy corn. i loved the rush of adrenaline that came with the entire season.
this year, i spent mischief night at work. i'm spending halloween night - the night that i once spent the whole year looking forward to - doing homework, maybe handing out candy to the few trick-or-treaters that will come by my door. this is like last christmas all over again - by the night before, i had yet to find the spirit, to feel the joy i once did when i saw the lights on a tree. i smell the leaves and i see the pumpkins, and i can remember how i should feel, but i just can't summon the emotion. i wish i could somehow be hit by the spirit, somehow revert to childhood, even for a moment.

1 Comments:

  • I totally understand what you mean about not being able to find the "spirit." When i was younger halloween used to be my favorite holiday as well. But as I grew older, the process of Haloween began turning into just that, a process. And a boring one at that. I found myself actually getting mad that i would have to get dressed up in a costume inorder to accomplish my ultimate goal, which was to get as much candy as possible in as little amount as time as possible. Jerry Seinfeld said it best..."As I got older I actually got irritated at the little old lady that would give me the candy. She would say "Oh, what are you supposed to be?" And i would promptly reply, I'm supposed to be at the next house by now lady, just hurry up with the candy!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, At November 1, 2004 at 9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home